Sunday, November 2, 2014

Interviewing EB.

I interviewed Ebony B., past-Director of The Compound Foundation. The Compound Foundation is the passion project of RnB singer, Ne-Yo to serve youth growing up in foster care and group homes. The foundation serves as a support system for foster care youth to encourage the pursuit of education, individual goals and dreams. Ebony B. was the founding Director, creating foundation programing and securing many grants as funding. Ebony also worked to establish relationships with local group homes and foster care agencies in Atlanta, Las Vegas and New York.

CW: Thank you for agreeing to sit with me and telling me about your experiences in entertainment. Take a moment and tell me about your career and how you became the Director of a celebrity non-profit.
EB: My non-profit career began when I was a student at Howard University. I began working for a women’s reproductive rights organization as an intern. Within a year, I was promoted from an intern to a field manager for the organization. I worked on a local front to educate women of their rights and to encourage them ask their politicians to legislate on behalf women’s reproductive rights. My time at the organization introduced me to politics afforded me the opportunity to move to Atlanta. Atlanta made it possible for me to combine my interests in politics, non-profit work and entertainment.

CW: You have an extensive resume, how has the power of negotiation helped you in your career?
EB: As I have worked in many different fields from non-profits, entertainment and politics the art of negotiation has been a major benefit to me. I have had to negotiate on behalf of clients, organizations and myself. I have had to negotiate on behalf of clients for my boutique public relations firm to land media deals and coverage. As Director of The Compound Foundation, I negotiated on behalf of Ne-Yo to The Board of Directors as well as supporters and partners of the organization. I was able to negotiate deals that allowed the Foundation to directly impact the lives of foster youth.

CW: How do you plan for negotiations?
EB: I plan for negotiations by collecting all of the facts possible for my argument then outlining the argument that I am making. I often prepare for negotiations as I would prepare for a presentation while trying to anticipate the argument of the other party. I find it best to prepare for negotiations by researching all topics applicable to my argument.


CW: Ebony, thanks again for taking time to speak with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment